Friday, May 14, 2004

Hittin' the Road 



Well unless I end up with web access, this will be the last post for a couple of weeks. We're heading off to Portugal today. Looking forward to everything but the flights. What a fucking nightmare. We have to change planes at Heathrow, and anyone who's had to do that before knows of what I speak.

We spent this past weekend hosting the guys from Drag the River.


Besides being an excellent band, they are all high class guys. They are welcome back at the Crevanator Compound anytime. They still have a bunch of their tour left, so those of you in the South and the Midwest should go out of your way to try and check them out.

Speaking of shows, we played with Drag the River this past Monday night. It was a helluva time. We did not play our best set that night. In fact, we were pretty bad. Hell, sometimes that shit happens. We'll be playing the Abbey Lounge again by this fall at the latest, so we'll it make it up to everyone then.


Also on the bill were our good friends The Guts . Although their drummer Rick was the only one who had the courage to hang at the Compound with Drag the River over the weekend. Geoff Useless barely survived the Thanksgiving bash last year. He hasn't been back since. Very strange.


Also on the bill were Boston's the Dents.

I saw them twice over this past weekend, and if you get a chance to see 'em, take advantage of it. You will not be disappointed. They play some serious rock-n-roll. They are in the semi-finals of Boston's battle of the bands, and if they don't win, it's a travesty.

In addition, we made some new friends at this show, as the Vapids from Canada were last second add-ons to the bill. Really cool guys from Hamilton, Ontario. The drank like fish, said "Eh" a lot, had a good ense of humor about being made fun of for being Canadien, and played some really good shit. They've been around for 10 years but I had never heard or seen them before. I'm glad I did. At some point we'll be making a trip up there to play Toronto with them.


Lastly, the bad news. The Crevanatormobile did not pass inspection. I knew one of my rear wheel bearings was going, but I was hoping they wouldn't notice. I just wanted the sticker so I could drive for a bit before I replaced it. There was something worse though. The bolts that hold in the cross bar that attaches both sides of the frame, and supports the Transmission mounts, are fucked. They are literally cracked from the torque the engine places on it when I wind the engine up to about 5 or 6 grand. That, of course, explains why my front suspension was so squirrelly when I drove it last week. I thought one of my ball joints was bad and I needed an alignment. But no, the front suspension is incredibly loose, as it also partly depends on that cross bar. I have a buddy with a speed shop in Dover though. I'll be bringing it to him in a couple of weeks. I don't have the tools or the space to drill out those bolts and replace them. Then, all will be right with the world.

Oh, and before I forget, here's the last pic of Otis y'all will see for a bit. He's hanging' tough! (As Joe King used to be wont to say.)

OTIS ARCHIVES

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home