Thursday, September 15, 2005

Goddamn Fisher Cat

QUICK EDIT: ISNA'T FUCKING FRUSTRATING THAT WITHIN 10 MINUTES OF MY POSTING THIS ENTRY THERE ARE ALREADY SPAMMERS LEAVING "COMMENT" TO THE POST?! I THOUGHT GOOGLE WAS FUCKING BETTER THAN THIS.

I get back to the Crevanator Compound tonight, after my usual post-work trip to the bar in Durham. Everything is peachy. I got to see Copy Jon, Crazy Dave, Jillian, Captain Leech, Katie the bartendress, Book store Heather, Hook and for the first time in two years, the crazy Muslim Ethiopian dude who breaks every tenant of his religion now and then and shows up at the bar and gets incredibly wasted and tries to buy everyone shots. A good time was had by all (especially myself, as I left before crazy Muslim Ethiopian dude started feeling guilty about being drunk and acted, well, even crazier. Trust me, I've seen it. In fact, I can probably pretty much predict what is happening at that bar right at this instant.)

In any event, I finally get home. First things being first, I take out Lucy the dog to pee and, if required, to crap. Suddenly I hear, from no more than 40-50 feet away, the creepiest and perhaps most dangerous howl you can hear if you live up here in New Hampshire. It was a Fisher Cat. Believe me, I know this sound, I've spent a lot of time in the woods. Below is a pic of one these foul beasts.



This pic is of a stuffed Fisher Cat. They are not very conducive to being photographed. You see, they tend to attack anything they see. I have a good friend who was a game warden for the state of the NH and she made the mistake of coming across one during dusk (they are nocturnal)and it immediately attacked her. She had to shoot it.

Here's some info about Fisher Cats:
"The Fisher Cat, is one of New Hampshire's most elusive animals, and a ferocious predator of small game. They are very fast on their feet and can turn on a dime. Few ever get the chance to see a fisher, mainly because they are nocturnal, but can be heard calling in the woodlands during their mating season. They have a chilling scream very much like that of high pitched child."

"They are also famous for their ability to successfully hunt and kill porcupines. One of the very few other animals to prey on porcupines is a close cousin of the fisher, the wolverine. The fishers’ long, wedge-shaped snout is well suited for making vicious attacks to the porcupines face until mortal wounds cause the porcupine to succumb."



In any event, the cry of the Fisher Cat makes the dog freak out in fear, so I haul her ass back inside. Then I realize our two cats are outside. There's no easier meal to a fisher cat than a house cat. So I step on the porch and start calling the cats. Boris (the smart one) has already been hiding under the back porch, and quickly bolts up and inside with his tail as puffy as can be. Bela,(the stupid one) is nowhere to be found. Normally the Fisher only makes it's hideous noise (imagine a human baby being murdered VERY slowly) during mating season. However, I have heard them make the same sounds right after a kill, or when they are pissed off. Since the fucking thing is so close to my house, I am worried about Bela. I go inside, grab my Glock and a Flashlight and head out towards where I last heard the sound. I do this whilst making as much noise as I can. Luckily, Bela runs past me to the porch before I get too far.

All I know is the cats aren't going outside for a couple of days. Normally a Fisher Cat (especially a male like this one was, if he was doing a mating call) won't stick around too long. I dunno. I have a feeling there are going to be some missing cat posters in this general neighborhood soon. We last had a Fisher make itself known around the 600 acres of woods/wetlands behind the Crevanator Compound 2 years ago. A few cats went missing.

I wonder if this is the same one, making the rounds? It very well could be. I feel bad for the Beavers and Otters out in the 2 ponds, they better be careful too.

Oh, as for this Sunday Patriots 35, Panthers 24
You heard it here first

14 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blog is informative . Dont't stop. I'm sure you'd be interested in How to buy & sell everything, like music on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger The Cod God said...

This blog is so informative. I like your family values. Your good nature is quite evident. Try going to my site. It's www.Imsogay.com.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger The Cod God said...

Mine was getting nailed everytime too until I chnaged the settings so that when you leave a comment, you have to type in a few letters. It seems to be working so far.

Rock n' Roll.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger BurN said...

Out neighbor came over a few weeks ago to warn us about a bobcat that he saw in his back yard. Ends up it killed his cat and a few chickens, and it killed another neighbors dog.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Duke Crevanator said...

A bobcat! damn, those are super rare in these parts.

I think Ozzy could take a bobcat thought.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Wheel Gun Bob said...

Sounds like my ex-wife.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger B-Face said...

I was dating this chick in high school and she lived in one of those pre-fabricated neighborhoods that are carved out of the woods. A big ring of houses. A fisher-cat made its way into the center of the ring (a bunch of backyards, as all houses faced outward to the street) and systematically killed every single cat in the neighborhood (aside from those kept inside) in under two weeks, and could not be found during the day. It was eventually shot to death. One of the meanest fuckers of the animal kingdom. Not as bad as the wolverine (nothing is), but worse than a badger. I hate those fucking things and when you hear them scream your blood runs cold, no bullshit, I've heard it too. Watch your cats, Duke, please.

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous pogmohon77 said...

I live in SE Mass....I believe we have one in the neighborhood (quite rural, near a wild body of water)...a high screech/bark every 15 seconds or so, kind of a trailing off howl at the end, freaks out the dogs when I put them out... I did see a dead one on the side of the road last year...

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous pogmohon77 said...

I live in SE Mass....I believe we have one in the neighborhood (quite rural, near a wild body of water)...a high screech/bark every 15 seconds or so, kind of a trailing off howl at the end, freaks out the dogs when I put them out... I did see a dead one on the side of the road last year...

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

6 cats 1 dog...
this damn fisher cat got's to go...
going hunting..
Revenge for my little baby...
im gonna stuff the little fucker after i smash his face with my 45.

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn.
Those things look like otters on steroids.
Did you find the cat?

- Craig in CT

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger lisawilliams9696 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Dakota569@msn said...

Well what can I say except my story ..... first heard one when i was 13 archery hunting in VT. still crystal clear to this day and Iam 37 ..... just so happens that one of my neighbors trried to have 2 of these for pets ....hmmph .... they are loose his name is in the police logs and as you guessed it cats are dissapperring
hee heee.... my lab passed a cppl yrs ago ....let her get a cockerspaniel a while after .....may have a lab again...dont know what could happen now??????....
naw I ll walk it but I might carry and if it should matter look at a map of Mass western part to be exact look for the pimple on the bottom .... thats me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home